Learning To Cook French

Being from the Midwest (and not a big city) French cuisine is hard to find. There is so much to learn about preparing French cuisine that I created this blog to share what I learn.

Sunday, October 16, 2005

Typical "Keep on Hand" items

In beginning this study, I now like to keep several food items on hand, in the Pantry or Refridgerator. Some of these items you may already keep stocked up, but some might be new to you. As I mentioned in my first post "Bouquet Garni", there are now some Herbs that I like to keep handy, such as Fresh Thyme, Fresh Parsley, Fresh Rosemary, and Bay leaves. During the summer I actually grow some of these in a Herb Garden at home, but they are also found in the supermarket in little packages of fresh herbs. In another post, i will talk about how I actually store these herbs.

Along with regular Yellow or White and Red onions, as well as Green Onions, I like to keep Pearl Onions handy. These work great for some Dishes such as Coq Au Vin. They are very tastely little round onions that have a nice flavor, and cook up really nice. Kind of in this catagory, I also keep Shallots around, they look like a large clove of garlic, but with a little milder onion flavor.

And now just a list of other items I like to stock up on, for both savory dishes and desserts.

Mushrooms (little button, or Baby Bellas (Cremini's))
Heavy Cream
Whipping Cream
Butter (this is the obvious one, unsalted, not Margarine)
Chocolate (I like 4oz little baking bars of Bittersweet chocolate)
Nutmeg (fresh is perfered but ground is just fine)
Carrots
Celery
Garlic
Black and Green Pepper corns
Olive Oil
Red and White wines
Brandy

Well, I know I could go on and on, but then I would get into items that I am sure everyone has, so I will stop here for now. I just wanted to share with you some important ingrediants that I find I use now in French Cooking. I'm sure there are some others that I have not come across yet, but when I do, I will list them here for you to review.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home